The first 4K4Community Fun Run, a continuation of the 4K 4Charity Fun Run, will take place on Tuesday, October 10 at 4:00 PM at OMSI, with a running and walking course taking participants over the Tilikum Crossing Bridge.
Founded by AWS Elemental in 2014, the 4K 4Charity Fun Run raised more than $1.3 million for local nonprofits through its most recent event in 2021. In 2023, Field Day took over the organization of the run supporting nonprofits advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in tech and education, with a modified name. The first sponsors of the 4K4Community include AWS Elemental, Field Day, Quantum Fiber, and Prosper Portland.
100% of registration fees for the 2023 4K4Community Fun Run are donated directly to POIC+RAHS, a community-based alternative school that is committed to the success of underserved youth and adults. With four campuses across Portland enrolling 350 students annually, RAHS offers open-door, year-round access to education for students who have encountered barriers in traditional school settings.
A new component of the 4K4Community will be a nonprofit fair presented by Field Day at the finish line celebration. The fair will showcase 15 local organizations focused on advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in tech and education in Portland.
Featured nonprofits at the 2023 4K4Community Fun Run include:
- AKA Science: A program of Impact NW that provides safe, fun, hands-on afterschool STEM enrichment to under-resourced students.
- The Children's Book Bank at SMART Reading: Works to close the book equity gap for preschool children of low-income homes.
- Free Geek: Diverts and refurbishes technology and gives it back to the community at no or low cost.
- IGNITE Worldwide: Works directly with educators to permanently and systematically change gender and racial equity in STEM.
- KairosPDX: Delivers excellent, equitable education to underserved children, their families, and their communities.
- Oregon MESA: Provides students underrepresented in STEM fields with the skills, knowledge, and opportunities to develop their talents, explore technology careers, and more.
- Oregon Robotics Tournament & Outreach Program (ORTOP): Works to foster an interest in STEM for K-12 students through FIRST Oregon robotics programs.
- POIC + RAHS: Committed to the success of underserved youth and adults through high quality services in alternative education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training, and placement.
- Project LEDO: Provides hands-on science and technology programs for children from BIPOC and low income communities.
- PDX Women in Tech (PDXWIT): Works to build a better tech industry by creating access, dismantling inequities, and fueling belonging.
- Portland Workforce Alliance: Creates partnerships and experiences that help high school students develop career aspirations, skills, and goals.
- Technology Association of Oregon: Unites the region's technology industry and helps to shape and grow technology and business communities.
- Word is Bond: Serves young Black men, ages 15-20, through dynamic, year-round leadership programs.
To register for the 4K4Community Fun Run, or to view sponsorship opportunities, visit 4k4community.com. To learn more about this year’s nonprofit beneficiary, visit portlandoic.org/high-school.
Sr. Marketing Manager